Friday, September 14, 2007

Self v.3.0

Myself viewed subjectively and interpreted through art
The balance between the heaven and hell of my own personality.
The inner demons and foreign angels.
The hope that falls down like feathers from heaven.
The roar of my own insatiable need to justify my own existence and the paths that I have chosen.
The need to somehow prove that it was all worthwhile and the gnawing fear that at the end of it all, it will have been for nothing.
Regardless, I can only be myself. This is what I am.
I cannot explain it because I did not create myself.
It took 27 years to get to this point and when I put it all down, you know what?
It really doesn't seem that bad at all.
Drawing is strangely clarifying sometimes.
The Branch.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mr.Magoo said...

Your drawings always have lots of style and nice energy to them. I'd love to see you pay more attention to composition and Anatomy. I see a few proportion issues here. Even though you're working in a slightly cartoony style, proportion and anatomy are still essential. I think that will really put you into high gear. Comments anyone?

8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Mr. M!

The drawing was originally a straight caricature, so the head is enlarged, and the features (like the hand) on the angel are smaller than usual. I guess I just gave myself too much slack on this one.

I'm going to start trying to post more regularly around here. I will definitely pay more attention in the future. I guess stuff like that can be distracting from the strength of the piece.

Branch!

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the distortion of the middle dude and the girl. The only thing that bothers me is the creature on the right. I think if you did a "draw through and positioned him to fit into the composition a little better then that would have kicked it out. The left side of the creature's head seems to get lost where it lines up with the middle character. I hope I am making sense. I like the feel of it overall. Good work!

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Post any off topic random crapola here