Sunday, June 11, 2006

Venezuelan Flavor in da haus!



Hey people! I'm Leo, the new guy, I've been invited to share my works with all of you! I'm new in this blog stuff, just started a month ago with mine. So thanx a lot!!! I'll try my best.

The guy upthere with the lady is Machera, "El Santo Malandro" in english would be somethin' like "The Holy Gangsta". Malandro is a latinamerican word for the criminals who live in the ghettos or "barrios" as we say. Machera was the aka of the toughest one of Mérida, a lil' town in Venezuela, where I am from. He lived, robbed, killed and helped a lot of people in the 70's and was the leader of the harder gang in the town. People says when he was alive he used to help his people, his neighborhood, and he's famous for his robbing the rich to feed the poor, like Robin Hood but in a 70' groovy style. He was murdered by the cops at 21 years old in 1977, 180 bullets, and now, the merideñan people praise him to solve any kind of troubles, love, study, money, illness, food, drugs, another gangs, any kind of situations. He got a little chapel in the local cementery. Obviously, the catholic church says he's kinda devil and we're all wrong... Just in case, when you'll rise a pray for him, please light a cigarrette and let it stand alone in a dark corner...


I drew this one with my left hand and it looks quite simple but I like sooo much coz' It's more alive, this was the cover of the first issue of our comic magazine here in Venezuela...

BTW, sorry for my sad english, you'll notice i'm not from here.. :)





4 Comments:

Blogger Mr.Magoo said...

Hey El nice to meet ya! I'm feelin this type of character. i can see this on the big screen. I still havent tried to draw with my left hand. It looks like it turned out for you quite nicely. Maybe this is a good topic for a future sketch jam?

3:59 AM  
Blogger Lawrence Christmas said...

Nice work man. I love the style that you use. Welcome!

5:29 AM  
Blogger Samax said...

i followed your english all right...

welcome aboard!

6:31 PM  
Blogger El leo said...

jajajaja, thanx... i supose (by the english), brian, you're right, let do the next jam with the left hand, and i have another one... let make a drawing with a instrument we cannot erase,like a thin marker or a pen, so we have to trust in our lines in the first moments they come out from the hand...kinda automatic, anyway we always gonna control it. i'll post some old lefty drawing to see de diference.... i've learned soooooo much with this, is like when you make some exercises and discover all that muscles you didn't know you had... :)

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Post any off topic random crapola here