Friday, June 09, 2006

Rooftop Records


Hey it's been a while since I've been on but I was diggin through some old records and came across my first album cover. This was a 12" compilation for Rooftop Records, a historic hip hop club in Harlem. I did this in the year 1987. Some of Kool Moe Dee's jams were released under this label and much of hip hops heavy hitters frequented the spot. This album featured artists like B-Fats, Queen Lisa Lee and the Disco Four to name a few. It was one of my first major jobs although I had a city wide rep in Philly for airbrushing t-shirts. Unfortunately it wasn't the big payoff (LOL!) but I always put my all into every job I did. If you look at this character and look at my Brotherman images , you will see that that has been my style for years. In fact, this was the original prototype for Brotherman.

I always wondered if Treach was inspired to wear the pad lock around his neck from this concept. His represented his respect to brothas on lock. It's all good tho . . . just wondered.

Dawud

6 Comments:

Blogger Mr.Magoo said...

So now y'all know where Trech got his chain and pad lock from! This is a good topic to jump on too. Post some old jobs.

4:21 PM  
Blogger kaNO! said...

87' damn?! I was lacing up coloring books and watching pee-wee Herman at that time.

4:24 AM  
Blogger El leo said...

hey bros. I was waiting for some like this! great blog, ass kickin drawings, guys, -"I Want To Contribute"-

It says It's by invitation, ok, where I get the ticket? you can check my blog, it's young but i think its getting stronger with the time...

greetingz from da tropical mountainz. peace.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Cedricstudio said...

Wow, I love the drawing on the cover! Very cool style.

2:42 PM  
Blogger El leo said...

hahaha, i just realized i was five in 87'! he-man, ultraman, mazinger z is all i rememba...

and thanx a lot for give me the chance of publish here! da tropical mountainz are rising!

2:09 AM  
Blogger chatterbox said...

HEY BROTHA I REMEMBER WHEN U WERE IN THE RECORDING STUDIO WITH ME DRAWING THE ROUGH SKETCH OF THE CHARACTER..WOW BRINGZ BACK MEMORIES...OF 87-88...E.L.D.

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Post any off topic random crapola here