Wednesday, January 11, 2006


I call her SISTA MAAT. To be honest I tend not to make pre-existing characters Black but for the All-Stars there is the exception to the rule. I did the rough in about 10 minutes during lunch but took the time to paint it after work. I call her MAAT as the symbol on her breastplate reflects the ancient Kemetic symbol of Truth, Justice, Reciprocity, Propriety and Balance. I even put her in a semi-yoga position without trying to get too deep. I still had fun with this. Glad to be able to finally get something posted up here with the rest of the crew!

Dah!

6 Comments:

Blogger McGee said...

Very cool sketch Dawud! I dig the Kemetic Yoga posture. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Maat is symbolised by one single feather? Anyways love your style.

4:48 AM  
Blogger St John Street said...

I like great idea 4 red blak and green I had the same idea just did have time to realize it yet great job.

5:28 AM  
Blogger babadawud said...

Brian,

The feather is the ostrich feather which represents the weight of your spirit when you are facing judgement on the scales of MAAT. The symbol of MAAT is a woman with the wings and there is the the sun (RA) above her. This is where the medical symbol that is used in the USA comes from; the lady justice symbol in our courthouses and the whole concept of judgment day. Not to mention a whole host of other rip-offs. Thanks for the feedback and I will try to get more active on here.

5:54 AM  
Blogger Alina Chau said...

cooool character drawing!

11:38 AM  
Blogger LeSean Thomas said...

i just love your shapes man. tight stuff. i'll echo St. John sentiments....i'm feelin the red and black too. dope stuff man.

2:09 AM  
Blogger Lawrence Christmas said...

Tight stuff man

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Post any off topic random crapola here